The City of Youngstown Buildings & Grounds is dedicated to providing a diverse range of efficient and high quality services which will ensure uninterrupted facility utilization while providing an atmosphere of professionalism to all city employees and public citizens.
The Building & Grounds Department is committed to making our City buildings clean and attractive places to visit and work. We provide general maintenance, electrical, plumbing, HVAC and custodial services to several buildings, including City Hall, City Hall Annex, 20 Federal Place, Street Department, Water Department, Covelli Centre, Police Department, Fire Department and Park Recreational Sites. We also provide property management for many parking lots.
We set up for meetings and special events at the Administration Building, 20 Federal Place, Covelli, and other locations as needed.
The Buildings and Grounds department is divided into the following divisions:
Custodial division is the janitorial component for the City buildings and performs one vital function: Contracting oversight operations. Contracting oversight operations provides supervision of contractors awarded bids to perform cleaning services within the City buildings.
Maintenance division is composed of five sections: Grounds, Electrical, Carpentry, Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC), and Plumbing. These sections collaborate to provide the on-going repairs and maintenance services necessary to keep Youngstown City Government functioning.
- Grounds Section performs general care and maintenances for the City grounds, including: landscape maintenance, turf, trees, shrub beds, sidewalks and plazas, furniture movements, snow removal, sprinkler maintenance, in addition, they maintain the flags and flag pole monuments.
- Electrical Section inspects, installs, tests, maintains, and repairs: electrical circuits, circuit breakers, electrical distribution equipment , emergency and stand-by generators, exit and emergency lights, lighting systems, interior and exterior light poles, motors, motor controllers and motor starters, receptacles and switches, primary, secondary electrical systems and snow removal.
- Carpentry Section repairs broken and damaged locks, doors and hardware, smoke detectors, fire systems, painting services, installs signage, performs light carpentry, inspects roofing, gutters and downspouts, small roof leak response and repair.
- HVAC Section inspects, installs, tests, maintains and repairs: refrigeration systems, walk-in refrigeration systems, ice machines, computer room heating and cooling systems, split system air conditioning units, hot and chilled water hydronic systems, evaporative cooling systems, furnaces, direct digital control (DDC) systems, pneumatic control systems, respond to building control system alarms, fire extinguisher maintenance, snow removal, generator servicing, and preventive maintenance services.
- Plumbing Section inspects, installs, tests, maintains and repairs: domestic back flow prevention devices, storm drainage systems, sanitary sewer systems, plumbing systems’ including: restrooms, custodial closets, drinking fountains, kitchens and snow removal. Perform related code compliance inspections, first responder for all water leaks and backups.
Security division functions during and after business hours, nights, weekends, and holidays. They perform minor building engineering duties as well as security operations. This division monitors critical security system and fire alarm monitoring for City buildings.
The Special Projects division performs management for new construction, remodels, and facility modifications, as required.